Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Long Awaited Photos!



After looking through the photos that we've taken during our time in Ireland, it's definitely nothing like what I normally would have captured if I were a tourist. That's one of the perks of living here, I guess, that we get to see all this beautiful architecture and greenery all the time! But I will be sure to take better pictures of the college and our neighborhood for a future post--even though they're becoming completely normal and everyday to us, we still think they're exceptional enough to show you! Here are just a few snapshots from the past few weeks. We'll start off in Arkansas, then give you the apartment tour, and then show you some very Irish things we've noticed during our wanderings around Dublin.

All of our possessions for an entire year fit into these suitcases! (The red one was actually not brought with us)

Our wonderful friend Stephen dropping us off at the airport.

The view from our apartment. See those beautiful mountains? Sometimes they're covered in fog and mist, sometimes they shine like emeralds. In the evening (when this photo was taken) they take on a brilliant shade of blue.

Our living room! Notice the large desk, the tiny television, the bookshelf, and 2 out of three pieces of art that I brought with me! (Norman Rockwell prints from my mom)

In our old apartment, we had what we called the "Book Nook." I have affectionately named this spot the "Quilting Corner."

While walking around campus, we stumbled upon this Soccer (or Football) match. They played through some very Irish weather: cold, misty rain (also known as: spittin')

Check out this building covered in ivy! We've seen several of these.

Nothing says you're in Europe now like that thing! This is part of a Cathedral in Dublin.

One of the louder pubs in the famous Temple Bar, a pedestrian friendly area of restaurants, shops, and pubs.

Here is O'Connell St, one of the main roads in Dublin. This intersection comes just as you cross over the River Liffey. In this photo you can see one of the many statues they have along O'Connell, as well as the Spire in the background. The Millennium Tower, as I think it was supposed to be called, was put up to honor the Millennium, and has a light on top of it to be a literal and figurative beacon.

Here's the River Liffey now! We're not sure what those things are on the river, or what they're doing with them, but my suspicion is that it's the most awesome game of Monopoly ever played.

Here's a statue of Oscar Wilde in Marion Park, looking across the street to his childhood home.

Here is beautiful Marion Park! Right in the middle of the city, an oasis of greenery.
Aaron looking regal next to his favorite tree in the park.
"Hey check this out! This would make some really great tinder!"
A very fancy government building.
This is a pretty good example of what a lot of the buildings in Dublin look like. Old, brick, lots of skinny windows.


Aaron and I at the center of St. Stephen's Green, another large park in the center of Dublin. See that umbrella? We carry it with us everywhere!

Well, there you have it: photofest #1, with many more to come. Tomorrow I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of my classmates and starting class officially on next Tuesday. I won't start Monday, because guess what... I got my schedule and it says four day weekends for me every week!! Aaron and I are ecstatic. That's just more time to spend together, to travel around Ireland, and when we can afford it, to see the rest of Europe!

2 comments:

  1. I've walked past that pub in Dublin! I think I even have a picture on the street opposite. If you keep going, and then turn right and go some more, there's a little square, and on the right hand side is a restaurant with an upstairs where I had mushy peas. I don't even like peas, but somehow, the mushy peas there were delicious. I don't know how the Irish do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren Lauren Lauren....it's futbol.

    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete