Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Gettin' In the Groove

Hey, all! Aaron here.

So the last few weeks, our blog posts have been about the BIG things--apartment updates, first impressions, museum trips, etc. While that's all fine and good, I thought our blog could use a more "day-to-day" touch. I just had a pretty cool moment over here, and while it isn't anything significantly important, I thought I'd share it with you.

Lauren is in city centre right now attending her first class. Pretty cool, right? No, don't ask me how it's going because 1) She's still in class, silly! and 2) It's her story to tell. I'm sure she'll blog about it sometime very soon. Anyway, I'm sitting at our apartment by myself working on some articles for Demand Studios. I didn't get to write many this morning because we left before lunch to get our brand new, shiny, joint Irish bank account. I'm working on the computer with the blinds thrown open and listening to energetic music on my enormous headphones (Hammerfall, Dragonforce, and Pearl Jam's lighter stuff), just tapping away while a light sprinkle of rain patters on the window. I feel productive, safe, and at ease. For those of you that are visually inclined...

And in the midst of it all, I had a moment. You know, one of those rare occasions when you stop what you're doing and just savor where you are. One of those few times in your life that you finally arrive at a destination you've been reaching toward for months. You see, all we've wanted for such a long time is to get to Ireland, get Lauren in class, get me working, and settle down. Tonight, it all came together. While it is admittedly Lauren's first day, and I'm only working for Demand Studios, it's still a job. One that I am increasingly thankful for with each passing day.

Here's a thought--Despite the warm feelings that come with "getting there," I'm reminded that reaching for these destinations shouldn't prevent us from living in the present--to truly revel in each season, even if we're looking forward to next one. We all know that our tendency is to create a new goal once we achieve the previous, locking ourselves in a vicious cycle of impatient waiting punctuated by momentary, fleeting bliss. Who wants to live like that? Yuck.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Just know that things are great over here and we're finally getting our feet and settling into a routine. Can you tell I'm excited? We've had our routine now for...let's see...an hour and 15 minutes, and I'm already on the blog posting about it.

Oh, and my favorite available article title today: "How to Build Rocket Propelled Grenades"

Pro Tip: Did you know that you can click on our uncaptioned pictures to view bigger versions? Try it!

2 comments:

  1. Those headphones are huge! Thank you for the visual aids, because the picture I had in my head did not give the enormity of the headphones the justice it deserved. Oh and I liked your article "Anatomy of a Cricket". I forget those things make noise I've been in Arkansas so long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you found one of my articles? That's awesome. I suppose it shouldn't surprise me since I've written almost 600. And yes, the headphones are huge, but that style (over-ear) has to be pretty big to completely cover the ear with the sound stage. They sound phenomenal.

    Oh brother, how are thou?

    ReplyDelete