Sunday, October 3, 2010

Guess what? God is in Ireland, too!

Hi, all! Aaron here.

Lauren and I had a wonderful Sunday morning, and I thought we would tell you all about our first visit to a church here in Ireland. Before I go into the story, I need to back up. Last night, Lauren and I journeyed into City Centre to hang out with our friends, the Belchers. They are another married American couple that we get along with really well, and towards the end of the evening, they invited us to attend church with them this morning. We were excited about the idea of attending a church with a pair of friends, so we accepted the offer.

This morning, Lauren and I woke and got dressed for church, which felt a bit like putting on a favorite old coat. There was something reassuring about the Sunday morning routine, something we didn't even know we missed. We took the tram to the church's neighborhood and walked the rest of the way. The neighborhood was one of my favorites, with lots of old houses and large, old trees. Like this one...

Yeah, that tree is totally eating that fence.

Anyway, we finally arrived at the church a bit early and snapped two photos for everyone back home.

As you can see, it's a Methodist church. For those that are curious, Methodists churches in Ireland are not nearly as liberal as those in the states. Inside, there were rows of chairs arranged in three main sections, all facing a central podium. Perhaps 40 to 50 individuals were in attendance, filling more than half of the seats available. The pastor wore a black robe and white collar, and the music consisted of hymns sung out of dusty navy-blue books, accompanied by an organ or piano. Lauren and I loved the worship time. It was so nice to sing again! I don't remember who, but someone once said that worship is water for a dry soul. They are very wise and very right.

It was monthly communion Sunday, so we were able to share the Lord's supper as well. In an interesting twist, the congregation took turns (in groups of 25 or so) standing in a semi-circle around the podium while the pastor served each person individually. There was plenty of remembrance and scriptural reading, which was wonderful. Throughout the service, the pastor would read out of the "Holy Communion" book, and the congregation would occasionally intone an "Amen" or "Have mercy on us, dear Lord." The sermon was only 15 minutes long and regarded 1 Corinthians 13, but there was plenty of scripture scattered through the service, so we felt well-fed. 

The pastor, named Andrew, was quite a guy. Imagine Kevin James from "King of Queens." Now give him dark hair, glasses and an Irish accent. His resemblance to Kevin James is in appearance only. While he is a cheerful, occasionally laugh-out-loud-funny fellow, he was also appropriately reverent. Very charismatic and warm leader, he looks to be in his early 40s. 

Lauren and I were greeted by many, many of the parishioners, all of which were welcoming and very smiley. After the service each week, everyone filters into the adjacent building for tea/coffee and biscuits (which are really just cookies. I suppose biscuits sounds healthier). Lauren and I managed to snag one biscuit each before the youth devoured the rest, and met several other people. Pastor Andrew found us and welcomed us to Centenary Methodist. We told him our situation here in the Emerald Isle and I mentioned my experience with youth ministry, letting him know that I might be interested in using my skills/talents while in Ireland. He wasted no time in inviting me a special meeting about the youth ministry this evening at 7:00pm.

Lauren and I left feeling light and refreshed, much like one feels after washing one's face. We debriefed as we walked away, making sure to praise God for showing us that tiny body of believers. The small size and familial atmosphere reminded us both of Simple Church, especially when we sang "Let Us Break Bread Together" during communion. We don't know if we're going to make it our home church during our stay in Ireland (we like to process a bit more before making big decisions like that), but it certainly nice to know we have one place on the list. It was really special to be around other believers, because we realized that even though we've never met these people before, we have something in common on the deepest level. It was incredibly surreal to talk to people we've never met from a totally different culture, and yet feel a profound sort of kinship. I was secretly afraid that when we arrived in Ireland, we wouldn't really feel God's presence anymore--almost like that feeling would only be associated with home and wouldn't be portable. Well, it was nice to be so resoundingly wrong in our fears. God goes wherever we go, and His love is recognizable in all of His children, regardless of geographical location.

By the way, I did go to the meeting tonight. Pastor Andrew attended, as well as two youth volunteers and a woman named Dorothy. She's one of those ladies that you just know holds the administrative aspects of the church together. She's the one that took our contact information this morning, and she seems to wear many different hats. We chatted about a potential college ministry for more than an hour, and I was able to throw in my two cents about what works with that crowd and what doesn't. We also talked a little bit about a more in-depth ministry for the church's youth, but the college ministry was really the main focus. I didn't make any commitments, but I told everyone that I will certainly be praying about my role in things. It certainly didn't skip my notice that I didn't even know what the church looked like this morning and this evening I was sitting in on a meeting about starting a college ministry. Mysterious ways, indeed.

On a final note, my attendance at the meeting this evening revealed something to me. At times, I can feel like I don't really have many skills to offer an employer. My degree is quite vague, and I've worked entry levels jobs most of my life. But tonight, as I gave advice on certain ideas and ministries, I realized that I actually have quite a lot of ministry experience (and hopefully wisdom). It was humbling, yet empowering to share my thoughts to an attentive group of individuals I met only hours earlier. I hope I get to use my experiences while staying here, and also when we arrive home.

So there you have it. Our first church visit. I don't see how it could have gone any better. We'll more than likely attend the same church next week, unless we're invited somewhere else. I'll be writing articles tomorrow and Lauren will be registering at the Garda in the morning. Pray that everything works out and that she gets in and out quickly. We hope your weekend went well and that your week is an easy one.

2 comments:

  1. i want that tree as a pet. a guard pet. to protect me from intruders. you try to intrude in my apartment? get eaten by a tree.

    although I can see what you mean about making a decision that this is your "home church" being a big decision, but I challenge you to consider something. God opens doors and windows for a reason, and you seem to be walking right into an opportunity. Why fight it? Is it necessary to go and experience a diverse palette of church to understand that God has some special timing at THIS church. I'd just roll with it and if something doesn't work out later, look elsewhere. Just my two cents.

    I'm so glad that God used you guys so strongly in that church. If nothing else, you were able to give experienced advice and counsel to a group of people with an infant ministry, and that can have lasting repercussions far beyond what you'll be able to see (and also has a hefty responsibility :)

    I miss you both, and was just imagining walking around the church and enjoying the service with you. I'm glad you enjoyed your old favorite coat ;D

    Miss you much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some might insightful thoughts, my friend. I think that sometimes I get so focused on doing the *right* thing that I miss the *obvious* thing.

    When you come visit, Lauren and I will certainly take you to the church!

    ReplyDelete