Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Day in the Life of a Trinity Student

Can you guess who's writing this particular post? :) For a while now, I've been carrying our camera with me and snapping some photos on my route to school, and of the school itself, and the city it sits in, with the express purpose of compiling those photos here to give all of our friends and family back home a clearer picture of what we're doing here in the first place. We have often mused that no one wants to see pictures of super markets, or bus rides, or the little mundane things that make up so much of our time here, but I thought, why not? Why not take a picture of the Tesco, so you, back home, can have an idea of where we buy our groceries next time we mention it? That being said, I did my best to map out a whole day in order to show you my schedule, the city, the school, and some friends I've made. I hope you enjoy it!

Step one is to wake up, get breakfast, get dolled up, and head to class. The day starts early, and I'm out the door by nine!

Coffee or tea in hand, of course.
I walk down this street...
And down here...
To the right is a pub that's being renovated. I like to peek inside it and see its progress as I pass it. :) It's coming along!
This is where the street gets busier... it feels like we're headed toward the city!
I get to pass this magnificent church every day.
And then I walk on a bridge over this canal. This photo was taken before everything got "fallified."
I make a turn, and the closer I get to the city center, the fancier the buildings become!
I pass this restaurant :) It's actually pretty expensive... Every now and then it makes me crave a $5 hot and ready!
Suddenly I'm in Georgian Dublin! See the bright colors of the doors, the buildings squished together?
I cross the tram tracks. On this corner is St. Stephen's Green, and if I have time, I usually pass through the park on my way to school.
This guy greets me as I walk inside. He's a Lord.
In the middle of the city, this is my shortcut to get out of the crowd and among some trees.

Out that gate is busy Grafton Street, already getting covered with Christmas lights!
At the end of this street is my school and Aaron's work!
I walk through front square, then between these buildings...
And tah-dah! This is my building. It's called the Arts Block and it looks like a post-apocalyptic shelter on the inside.

 Up some stairs...

... to class! There were four of us on this day instead of the usual six, because Trinity has graduation super late! This was taken before class... everyone is usually very attentive during!

We caught up with one of our missing classmates later--congratulations on graduating from college, two months into a masters program!

Then someone told us to do a "tiger pose" and Ian growled "BA!!"

Off to lunch! This time we went to a place called O'Briens. They give Trinity students a 25% discount :)

Just look at this place, packed with students!

Mika is Canadian, hence the Blue Jays hat.

Then its off to the Graduate Reading room. And here is my set up.

Look how fancy this is. Graduate students only!

Yes, I study in a building that has a rotunda.

We go to another class. We all stand around afterwards and talk about how lecture went. Usually it's like "oh man, my mind is blown!"

I wish I had a better photo to show you the apolalypticness of this building.


Out of the building, and into the hustle and bustle of the city at night!

I cross this busy street when the light tells me it's safe...

And then... oh wait! Who's this handsome fellow?! I pick my husband up from work and then we ride home together :)

Riding on the top level of the double-decker bus, on our way home!


We pick up groceries. Here's our supermarket, the Tesco.

From the Tesco, we have a short walk back to Trinity Hall.

... where I make dinner and banana bread.

And Aaron unwinds by playing video games.

And then we go to bed to start it all over again!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED this post! Thank you for showing us your day. Now, remember I am your mom...the way to school looks beautiful and interesting, but please tell me you do not walk it at night alone?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. STOP SHOWING ME BANANA BREAD. HOW MEAN ARE YOU ANYWAYS!? seriously though, these are the kind of pictures I like :) everyone loves panoramas and people, but I like normal stuff :D

    danke ^_^ I wish my route to work had such fun stuff....or that I lived in walking distance so I could appreciate it anyways.

    ReplyDelete